Comparing Different Types of Project Management Software
When comparing different types of project management software services, it can be daunting to see the many features out there and to figure out what you need and where you can find it. Even after choosing, post-implementation can present challenges of its own, creating a need for additional support that oftentimes doesn’t exist.
In this blog, we’ll walk you through how to compare and contrast the benefits of project management software, what features to look for, and how additional support can keep your business operating efficiently.
How to Compare Modern Project Management Software
To compare different project management software, you need to know what features you need to get the job done. There are a lot of options out there and each provides unique offerings in terms of features, pricing models, and user experiences, but there’s most likely one specific option that not only covers exactly what you need but provides the support you need to work effectively.
Features Needed by Modern Businesses
To plan modern projects, certain features are simply must-haves. Here is a look at some of these types of features, why they’re crucial for businesses, and how they help teams manage their projects:
- Flexible Views: People work in different ways and need unique ways to view and manage their tasks. A modern project management software needs to have multiple views (calendar, weekly, checklist, etc.) to let people see their projects how they want to and in a way that works best for them.
- Filters and Formatting: It’s important that everyone can find what they need when they need it. With filters, formatting, and search tools, tasks and projects are easy to sort through in order to find the information needed to complete them.
- Automations: Not every job needs to be done manually, and this is especially true for managing projects. With so many moving parts—juggling schedules, changing timelines, adjusting tasks, etc.—it’s helpful to implement automation to make this easier. Jobs like project creation, notifications, reminders, and more can be automated to ease the burden of project managers.
- Communication Tools: Without effective communication and collaboration tools, teams can get lost in their own tasks, schedules, and projects. A modern project management tool should give businesses the ability to communicate within the application through instant messaging, notifications, forms, boards, and more.
- Project Forms: Speaking of forms, the ability to create custom forms in a project management tool is a great way to streamline the project creation process and to collect, organize, and manage data from others within an organization.
- Integrations: Not even the best project management software can do everything on its own. That’s why the ability to integrate with third-party applications is important in order to utilize powerful tools like Dropbox, HubSpot, and Google Analytics within a project.
- Workflow Customization: Workflows keep everything moving smoothly. An effective project management software gives businesses the power to create custom workflows (or work from templates) to automate and accomplish tasks without more manual input and to keep projects moving without the need for a project manager to directly monitor them.
What is the Best Project Management Software?
When it comes to finding the right project management software, businesses have a lot of options that each come with their own pros and cons and features.
These project management software all bring at least some of the core features we discussed earlier that are absolute necessities for modern businesses. Monday.com, Kintone, Microsoft Project, Basecamp, Asana, Trello, Microsoft Project, and other commonly used software check many of the boxes but don’t always go all the way to the point of revolutionizing the way businesses handle projects.
Smartsheet is a true jack of all trades software without the compromise of being a master of none. In fact, Smartsheet contains all the features necessary to manage projects large and small. It has all the features necessary for businesses of all sizes to effectively manage projects and get things done on time.
Related: See Smartsheet in action with our quick product demo
Smartsheet gives teams and project managers everything they need to keep their teams organized, including automation, workflow customization, communication tools, useful form creation, and flexible views that users can customize to their liking.
If there is a downside to Smartsheet, it would be the complexity of its project management potential. With so many features and options available to businesses within the software, it can be a task of its own to ensure everything is being utilized efficiently. That’s where an experienced team of project managers, developers, and business applications specialists would come in handy to have someone to rely on to ensure the PM tool is being used most effectively.
The Advantages of an MSP-Supported Project Management Software
Project management is complicated and, alone, it can be too much to handle for small project management and internal IT teams. That’s where a managed service provider (MSP) comes in.
The most important aspect of having MSP-supported project management is access to the experts that know the software inside and out. Any snags you hit, questions you have, or ideas you want to implement can be handled by experts to ensure everything continues working smoothly and that your PM solution continues to fit your needs as your business evolves.
Additionally, an MSP will handle the licensing and support proper implementation into your business which includes integrations with third-party apps, employee training, and more to ensure you get off the blocks quickly.
Project management is one of the keys to a successful, efficient business. Though there are a lot of options out there, Smartsheet delivers everything a modern company could need. When supported by an MPS like Impact, businesses can get the support they need when they need it to make sure everything stays on track.
Without this kind of support, hiccups like poorly created workflows or automation, miscommunications, slow implementation, and inefficient project creation and management can grind entire companies to a halt.
Learn more about how Smartsheet works through our product demo video that walks you through all the features, how they work, and how it can help your business. Watch the video now.